United by the common intent to promote Italian music in the world through different musical genres, projected since the beginning in the international audience thanks to a performance held in London in May 2008, decided to embark on an international career to spread Italian art and its musical expression.
Italian Ensemble was founded in 2008 on the initiative of the current artistic director Luigi De Giorgi and a group of orchestra professors from the Ente Lirico Teatro Massimo Bellini in Catania: Alessio Nicosia e Salvo Domina (violins), Luigi De Giorgi (viola), Vadim Pavlov (cello), Davide Galaverna (double bass and accordion), Adriano Murania (violin, guitar and mandolin).
The vast experience in the field of lyric-symphonic and chamber music of the members, as well as the study and knowledge of other musical genres, have given rise to a musical project for the reworking in a classical and popular of the largest and most famous Italian music repertoire.
The musicians, all official members of the opera orchestra of Catania, have collaborated with illustrious personalities from the international musical field: Riccardo Muti, Zubin Mehta, Carlo Maria Giulini, Alain Lombard, Yuri Temirkanov, Uto Ughi, Salvatore Accardo, Andrea Bocelli, Giovanni Sollima, Josè Cura, Dario Fo, Dimitra Theodossiou, Michael Nyman, Stewart Copeland, Swingle Singer, Claudio Baglioni, Franco Battiato, Nicola Piovani, Michael Bolton, Noa, etc.
They have been Invited to perform for music associations as well as for national and international music festivals, such as the Festival Musicale delle Nazioni in Rome, the International Festival "Villa Guariglia" in Vietri, the Belliniano Festival in Catania, always gaining public and critical acclaim.
In January 2013, invited by the director of RAI headquarters in Sicily, they held a concert which was broadcast live streaming from the Auditorium R.A.I. in Palermo.
What many international artists say of them
- "The idea of going from Bellini to Lucio Battisti and suddenly finding yourself in the same place is wonderful! They also have the right arrangements and spectacular performances, fantastic sound. An enchantment!" - Giovanni Sollima.
- "They were able to describe the Italian music world with originality, completeness and irony. The choice of the tracks reveals a great musical sensitivity and an extraordinary open-mindedness. Happiness and feeling, sobriety and colour: in every note there is really the whole Italian heart." - Hubert Soudant.
- "I like Italian Ensemble very much, both for the interesting staff and for the musical arrangements of the various pieces. The performance is full of a typical Italian spirit with beautiful musical details. I am convinced that this ensemble will have a new and original accent among the normal programs of instrumental music concerts and deserves to be heard both in Italy and abroad!" - Will Humburg.
Some titles from the national press:
- "Italian Ensemble: talent, passion, exciting musical crescendo" - I Vespri
- "Italian Ensemble – A very original Ensemble" - Archi Magazine.
- "Put one night with the orchestra-juke box" - Sicily.
- "When music becomes joy and joy of living" - BelliniNews.
In October 2011 the members of the Italian Ensemble received thanks for their musical activity promoted on the 150th anniversary of the Unification of Italy and the best wishes for the artistic activity by the President of the Italian Republic Giorgio Napolitano.
The show "Il Natale al Bellini" was also very successful. The concert was included in the Concert Season 2015 of the Teatro Massimo Bellini in collaboration with the Choir of White Voices of the Conservatory of Music of Palermo.
They have been long applauded at the Palacultura of Messina, where they performed for the Philharmonic Academy of the city, in the Aula Magna of the University of Catania, on the Official Opening of the Academic Year 2017-2018, and at the Garibaldi Theatre of Modica (RG).
In 2018, to celebrate ten years of musical activity, they recorded their second CD: "Eat It" an exciting musical journey in the tradition of our country, from opera arias, to soundtracks of famous Italian films and some of the most engaging Italian songs.
In September 2019 the Italian Ensemble will tour in the USA and also perform in the prestigious hall of the Carnegie Hall in New York".